Re: A spammer, wanting to poison our bayes seems to have found ahole at vger.kernel.org

From: Matti Aarnio
Date: Sun Jan 31 2010 - 18:30:11 EST

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 11:13:19PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greeting;
>
> I just noticed that I have a poison bayes spam in my inbox cuz kmails filters
> haven't a clue what to do with a message addressed like this:
>
> to:linux-kernel-outgoing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Is this a leak in the mailing list server, or a total forgery?

Sharp eyes, thanks.

I quoted above Gene's emails Received headers as it travelled thru
vger.kernel.org. You can have a look at headers of this reply to see,
how many hops it did inside VGER.

There were explicit aliases mapping majordomo output to actual list
expansion. A smart spammer realized that by adding vger's domain on
them was possible to post directly to list system backend.

Now there is no separate backend, and such aliases no longer exist.

Best Regards, Matti Aarnio, one of <postmaster at vger.kernel.org>