Re: [patch v2 1/2] at91_udc.c read_fifo timing issue

From: Anti Sullin
Date: Sun Jan 31 2010 - 18:19:31 EST

Harro Haan wrote:
> This solves the read_fifo timing issue for example seen with CDC Ethernet.
[...]

Still this bug not fixed?
I sent almost the same fix and a lot of debug info with description of the issue and the critical path of the timing to linux-arm-kernel on 2009-03-25 ( http://lists.arm.linux.org.uk/lurker/message/20090325.150843.f515c02f.en.html ) and we had an off-list discussion with David Brownell about another udc patch on 2009-06-19 that later turned out to be the same issue.

This fix has solved the problems on our devices and we've been using it for almost a year now.

About Harro's patch:
* why are the marker1 and marker2 comments necessary to be included?
* maybe you should just link to the mailing list and/or move the long comment to patch description instead adding a page-long comment to code; just leave a small comment to explain why the work-around is needed so that nobody would optimize it away?
* Is the error check and warning message necessary after we've got rid
of the problem? Won't it add problems - as I found out, the first csr
read (that comes too early) may return bogus data, you should not use its result at all.

--
Anti Sullin
Embedded Software Engineer