[patch 0/3] introduce sys_membarrier(): process-wide memory barrier (v8)

From: Mathieu Desnoyers
Date: Sun Jan 31 2010 - 16:12:21 EST

Hi,

Here is an updated version of the sys_membarrier system call. It implements a
system call that allows userspace to distribute the overhead of memory barriers
asymmetrically. It is particularly useful for Userspace RCU (liburcu), to allow
the RCU read-side to only issue compiler barriers, matched by calls to
sys_membarrier() in the userspace synchronize_rcu().

Even though sys_membarrier should be portable to other architecture as-is
without arch-specific modifications, I propose to incrementally reserve the
system call IDs as we test it on each architecture.

Here is a version that I think should be ready for merging. It is based on the
2.6.33-rc6 kernel. I would appreciate if people who gave their Acked-by in the
RFC rounds could confirm their Acked-by following the patch set updates.

Thanks,

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers