Re: [Bug #15124] PCI host bridge windows ignored (works withpci=use_crs)

From: Matthew Garrett
Date: Sat Jan 30 2010 - 21:47:05 EST

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 09:26:02PM -0700, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:

> When ACPI is disabled, I think we just have to accept that we lose some
> functionality. I don't see the need for alternate ways to accomplish
> everything that ACPI does. It's becoming less and less useful to
> disable ACPI; I think it's only interesting as a debugging tool, and
> even then it's a sledgehammer.

I'd agree with this. The days where it was plausibly practical to boot
non-ACPI operating systems on hardware are clearly gone, and people who
are actually disabling ACPI in the field seem to be doing so in order to
avoid other bugs - and we're failing to fix those bugs as a result.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx