Re: High scheduler wake up times

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Sat Jan 30 2010 - 19:10:29 EST

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 17:45:51 -0600
Shawn Bohrer <shawn.bohrer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Currently we have a workload that depends on around 50 processes that
> wake up 1000 times a second do a small amount of work and go back to
> sleep. This works great on RHEL 5 (2.6.18-164.6.1.el5), but on recent
> kernels we are unable to achieve 1000 iterations per second. Using
> the simple test application below on RHEL 5 2.6.18-164.6.1.el5 I can
> run 500 of these processes on and still achieve 999.99 iterations per
> second. Running just 10 of these processes on the same machine with
> 2.6.32.6 produces results like:
> ]

there's an issue with your expectation btw.
what your application does, in practice is

<wait 1 millisecond>
<do a bunch of work>
<wait 1 millisecond>
<do a bunch of work>
etc

you would only be able to get close to 1000 per second if "bunch of
work" is nothing.....but it isn't.
so lets assume "bunch of work" is 100 microseconds.. the basic period
of your program (ignoring any costs/overhead in the implementation)
is 1.1 milliseconds, which is approximately 909 per second, not 1000!

I suspect that the 1000 you get on RHEL5 is a bug in the RHEL5 kernel
where it gives you a shorter delay than what you asked for; since it's
clearly not a correct number to get.

(and yes, older kernels had such rounding bugs, current kernels go
through great length to give applications *exactly* the delay they are
asking for....)

visit http://www.lesswatts.org