Re: Lock dependency based tree report in perf lock

From: Frederic Weisbecker
Date: Sat Jan 30 2010 - 13:57:47 EST

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 09:46:28AM +0100, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-01-30 at 00:17 +0100, Frederic Weisbecker wrote:
> >

> > Anyway, that's just an idea, not trivial I must admit.
>
> lockdep actually collects all this information, so writing it out isn't
> too hard.

Lockdep collects the theorical dependencies but not the practical
scenarios.

Say B and C depend on A, you'll get:

/ \
B C

But nothing can tell you that if A is taken, B and C will always
be taken. You may have different scenarios based on this dependency,
which is not something that lockdep logs, right?