Re: [RFC] perf_events: support for uncore a.k.a. nest units

From: Peter Zijlstra
Date: Sat Jan 30 2010 - 03:43:51 EST

On Fri, 2010-01-29 at 15:05 -0800, Corey Ashford wrote:
> So you'd read the id from the sysfs topology tree, and then pass that id to the
> interface? That's an interesting approach that eliminates the need to pass a
> string pmu path to the kernel.

No, the attr.pmu_id would reflect the location in the tree (pci
location, or spu number), the pmu id reported would identify the kind of
pmu driver used for that particular device.

I realized this confusion after sending but didn't clarify, we should
come up with a good alternative name for either (or both) uses.