Re: 2.6.32.5 regression: page allocation failure. order:1,

From: Mel Gorman
Date: Fri Jan 29 2010 - 10:47:16 EST

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 08:56:20AM -0500, Mark Lord wrote:
> Mel Gorman wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 09:17:17AM -0500, Mark Lord wrote:
> ..
>>> Rather than wasting time trying to bisect a full major kernel revision,
>>> I think instead I'll just focus on mm/page_alloc.c.
> ..
>> Well, it might not eve be necessary. In the patch I sent you, it pointed
>> the finger at commit 5f8dcc21211a3d4e3a7a5ca366b469fb88117f61 being the
>> problem in that case. I believe your problem is a variation of the
>> slowdown-in-swapping problem except in your case it manifests as
>> GFP_ATOMIC allocations failing.
>>
>> If the fix does not help you, then I'll take a fresh look at the other
>> commits with your particular problem in mind.
> ..
>
> Last night, I installed 2.6.32.7, plus the patch you sent.
> So far, no allocation faults.

Nice one.

> I'll leave it running for another day or so, and then perhaps revert
> the one patch to see which of the two things (new kernel, or patch)
> is responsible for the difference.

Thanks, I'd appreciate it. While I'm reasonably confident the problem is
with MIGRATE_RESERVE not being free as intended and that the patch fixes
it, I'd like more proof.

> The changelog for 2.6.32.7 included something to fix default rsize/wsize
> values on NFS. Dunno if this might have had an effect or not,
> but when it was failing.. NFS (order 1) was the most frequent case.

I consider it unlikely that a change in NFS is responsible. The network
MTU would remain the same and it's a bigger factor in the size of
allocations made. I think it's just a co-incidence that NFS reported the
most failures simply because it was responsible for the bulk of network
traffic.

Hugh, can I get a signed-off-by on that patch please? I can improve the
changelog if you like and send it to Andrew for merging if you like.

--
Mel Gorman
Part-time Phd Student Linux Technology Center