Re: linux-next: sparc tree build warning

From: David Miller
Date: Thu Jan 28 2010 - 23:13:03 EST

From: Stephen Rothwell <sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 10:25:43 +1100

> Hi Dave,
>
> On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 05:24:32 -0800 (PST) David Miller <davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> From: Stephen Rothwell <sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 18:44:23 +1100
>>
>> > I am still seeing these. Is it my compiler version (gcc4.4.0)?
>>
>> You can't turn on DEBUG_STRICT_USER_COPY_CHECKS and
>> expect a successful build. It's for developers to
>> look at the errors that are generated and audit those
>> cases in detail.
>
> These are defconfig builds and CONFIG_DEBUG_STRICT_USER_COPY_CHECKS is
> not set in either case.

Simply ignore the warning then, I thought you were reporting
a build failure.

> I only do an i386 defconfig build and I don't get these warnings.

Looking at the specific case of net/core/pktgen.c:867

"len" is variable in the net/core/pktgen.c line that emits the
warning

Even though it is limited to "sizeof(name) - 1" via strn_len()'s
third argument, that's a lot to expect the compiler to dig into
and be able to conclude invariants from.

Please just ignore the warnings.

Thanks.