Re: 2.6.32.5 regression: page allocation failure. order:1,

From: David Rientjes
Date: Wed Jan 27 2010 - 20:04:29 EST

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010, Mark Lord wrote:

> > There was one bug related to MIGRATE_RESERVE that might be affecting
> > you. It reported as impacting swap-orientated workloads but it could
> > easily affect drivers that depend on high-order atomic allocations.
> > Unfortunately, the fix is not signed-off yet but I expect it to make its
> > way towards mainline when it is.
> >
> > Here is the patch with a slightly-altered changelog. Can you test if it
> > makes a difference please?
> ..
>
> We don't like to reboot our 24/7 server very often,
> and certainly not for debugging buggy kernels.
>
> It's rock solid again with 2.6.31.12 on it now.

Is there something specific about the workload that makes it easily
reproducible? Are you saying that 2.6.31.12 is "rock solid" because it
has survived a certain workload that caused these page allocation failures
with 2.6.32.5, or simply because it has a longer uptime and hasn't shown
a problem? It would be very helpful to describe the load so that we can
attempt to reproduce it locally without a sacrifice to your server.