Re: Radeon HDMI audio in 2.6.33 kernel ???

From: Takashi Iwai
Date: Wed Jan 27 2010 - 16:54:55 EST

At Wed, 27 Jan 2010 11:17:04 +0100,
<debian@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm not sure I'm at the right place (please, if not, tell me where I can
> find a solution...) but I have a problem with multimedia hardware.
> So, I've changed my graphic card and I've bought an ATI Radeon HD 4550. My
> goal is to use only an HDMI cable between my computer and my AV amplifier.
> I've installed Debian Sid but I can't have any sound... Everything seems
> OK with Alsa (and PulseAudio), but no sound !!!

How did you test it?

> With google, I've found this :
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzgxMA
> [I should need a 2.6.33 kernel to have HDMI support with ATI cards]
> So, I've compiled the 2.6.33RC5 kernel, but no difference !!!
>
> The card seems to be OK :
> # aplay -l
> card 0: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>
> Do you have any idea ?

If the audio codec is detected, a possible problem is the video driver
side. The HDMI is handled rather in the video chip, and it has
usually a register switch to enable/disable HDMI audio. Similarly,
the EDID handling can break the audio handling, too.

If it's really a problem of the audio codec, you can try to move the
corresponding codec id from patch_atihdmi.c to patch_intelhdmi.c.
(don't forget MODULE_ALIAS() there, too).

Takashi