Re: [Bug #15124] PCI host bridge windows ignored (works withpci=use_crs)

From: Jesse Barnes
Date: Wed Jan 27 2010 - 15:59:35 EST

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 12:50:12 -0800 (PST)
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Jan 2010, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> >
> > Without intel_bus.c, we essentially assume config 1 all the time.
> > If we keep intel_bus.c and this patch for .33, things should work
> > for configs 1 and 4. Adding support for config 4 is good.
>
> Quite frankly, is there any major downside to just disabling/removing
> intel_bus.c for 2.6.33? If we're not planning on having it in the long run
> anyway - or even if we are, but we can't be really happy about the state
> of it as it would be in 2.6.33, not using it at all seems to be the
> smaller headache.
>
> The machines that it helps are also the machines where you can fix things
> up with 'use_csr', no? And they are pretty rare, and they didn't use to
> work without that use_csr in 2.6.32 either, so it's not even a regression.
>
> Am I missing something?

No that's the plan. intel_bus.c was a good effort, but it's just too
different from what Windows does, and it'll always be behind. We'll
disable it for 2.6.33 and try again to move to _CRS in 2.6.34 (but
fixing the problem with large numbers of _CRS resources this time).