Re: [tip:x86/mce] x86, mce: Rename cpu_specific_poll to mce_cpu_specific_poll

From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab
Date: Wed Jan 27 2010 - 10:06:21 EST

Andi Kleen wrote:
> it only covers
> parts of the space (some subset of Nehalems with a specific uncore).

The changes for Xeon 55xx are minimal. I did some tests with the driver on it already.

> This does not include Xeon 75xx where all this is quite different.

I haven't the datasheets for 75xx, so I can't say for sure if it would be better to
use the same driver or to fork it.

>> I agree. The EDAC module handles memory errors for several memory controllers,
>> including some on non-x86 architectures. Letting this decode to happen outside
>> the kernel, just for a very few set of memory controllers, seems a bad idea.
>
> Again you can't do all the things mcelog does in kernel space only.

Well, the error parsing can be done in kernel space in a standard way provided
by the edac interface.

I don't see why not the mcelog userspace shouldn't use the EDAC interface as one
of its source, getting memory errors from it, avoiding the need of re-parsing
the errors.

Cheers,
Mauro.