Re: linux-next: add utrace tree

From: Tom Tromey
Date: Tue Jan 26 2010 - 18:21:39 EST

Tom> * Support "displaced stepping" in the kernel; I think this would improve
Tom> performance when debugging in non-stop mode.

Linus> Don't we already do that at least on x86?

I don't know. If it does, and gdb does not yet use that, then that
would be worth changing.

Linus> Or maybe I'm not understanding what displaced stepping means to you.

In non-stop mode (where you can stop one thread but leave the others
running), gdb wants to have the breakpoints always inserted. So,
something must emulate the displaced instruction.

Tom