Re: which fields in /proc/meminfo are orthogonal?

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Tue Jan 26 2010 - 15:52:52 EST

On 01/26/2010 01:03 PM, Chris Friesen wrote:

> I'm currently trying to figure out which of the entries in /proc/meminfo
> are actually orthogonal to each other. Ideally I'd like to be able to
> add up the suitable entries and have it work out to the total memory on
> the system, so that I can then narrow down exactly where the memory is
> going. Is this feasable?

I've tried adding up
MemFree+Buffers+Cached+AnonPages+Mapped+Slab+PageTables+VmallocUsed

(hugepages are disabled and there is no swap)

Shortly after boot this gets me within about 3MB of MemTotal. However,
after 1070 minutes there is a 64MB difference between MemTotal and the
above sum.

Here's /proc/meminfo after 1070 minutes:

MemTotal: 4042848 kB
MemFree: 406112 kB
Buffers: 12072 kB
Cached: 3068368 kB
SwapCached: 0 kB
Active: 671200 kB
Inactive: 2711952 kB
SwapTotal: 0 kB
SwapFree: 0 kB
Dirty: 44 kB
Writeback: 0 kB
AnonPages: 235864 kB
Mapped: 30752 kB
Slab: 200156 kB
SReclaimable: 142828 kB
SUnreclaim: 57328 kB
PageTables: 4320 kB
NFS_Unstable: 0 kB
Bounce: 0 kB
WritebackTmp: 0 kB
CommitLimit: 2021424 kB
Committed_AS: 2593116 kB
VmallocTotal: 34359738367 kB
VmallocUsed: 21496 kB
VmallocChunk: 34359716779 kB
HugePages_Total: 0
HugePages_Free: 0
HugePages_Rsvd: 0
HugePages_Surp: 0
Hugepagesize: 2048 kB
DirectMap4k: 3008 kB
DirectMap2M: 4190208 kB

Any ideas how to track down the missing memory?

Chris