Re: High pitch noise when ACPI processor module is loaded.

From: Justin Piszcz
Date: Mon Jan 25 2010 - 04:26:57 EST

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010, Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 10:48:50 EST, Justin Piszcz said:
Hi,

Linux:
When I do not load the ACPI processor module, there is no high pitch
noise. When I load the ACPI processor module (so I can utilize Turbo
Boost), Linux makes the system emit a high pitch noise.

Sounds like singing capacitors.

http://lwn.net/Articles/145973/ - and see the last 2 comments.

Hi,

I think something else may be wrong?

I switched my kernel config to 100 HZ and the problem persists.

So the question remains, is it possible to utilize turbo boost (in Linux)
without the high pitch noise from the ACPI processor module?

Again, when the module is not loaded, no matter what HZ, there is no high pitch noise.

Justin.