Re: Driver-Core: devtmpfs - remove EXPERIMENTAL and enable it by default

From: Kay Sievers
Date: Wed Jan 20 2010 - 13:02:21 EST

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 15:58, Arjan van de Ven <arjan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 10:03:41 -0800
> Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > removing experimental is fine... but setting it by default is a bit
>> > over the top and very inconsistent with how the 'default' option is
>> > used.
>>
>> Why?
>
> because the convention is that we use "default y" only for those things
> that used to be on, and are now turned into a config option.

Oh, I never heard of such a convention. Sure, we can remove that "y",
if this is the way it should be used, not be used.

Looking at the current Kconfig files many "default y" looks more like:
"stuff that should be in a kernel to work in a common setup". I see
new functionality often switched on with that flag.

As said, I don't mind dropping that "y", if there is such a convention.

Thanks,
Kay