Re: SmPL scripts into build environment?

From: Michal Marek
Date: Mon Jan 18 2010 - 05:59:18 EST

On 15.1.2010 17:49, NÃmeth MÃrton wrote:
> Hi Marek,

s/Marek/Michal/ :)

> there was a discussion about patches which are generated using the
> tool called spatch. In the changelog the SmPL script was usually
> included, see http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux%2Fkernel%2Fgit%2Ftorvalds%2Flinux-2.6.git&a=search&h=HEAD&st=commit&s=%3Csmpl%3E .
> It is useful to store the SmPL scripts because they may find
> problems in the newcoming code also.
>
> In order to run a "check" the spatch tool and the SmPL is also necessary.
> There was an idea to place the used SmPL scripts under the Linux
> kernel source tree so it can move from the changelog but still remain
> for later use. The "check" could be run similar to the tools checkpatch,
> sparse or lockdep.
>
> What do you think where the SmPL scripts can be placed?

Documentation/smpl/$name_of_problem_fixed.cocci? Or maybe better
scripts/smlp/..., if you are going to add some wrapper that runs the
semantic patches on the source tree. Or something like that, a dedicated
subdirectory to store the semantic patches in individual files.

> What do you think the best way would be to introduce some check like this
> in the build environment?

I've only heard about the tool, I haven't used it yet. Does it need to
preprocess and parse source files like sparse does, or can it check C
files without expanding macros and includes? If the former, then let's
extend make C=... to also support spatch. If the latter, then a script
that runs spatch on all *.c files found the tree should be enough. But
as I said, I haven't used the tool, so I don't know what it needs and
what it can offer.

Michal