Re: [patch] kbuild: improve version string logic

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Sat Jan 16 2010 - 01:38:22 EST

* David Rientjes <rientjes@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The LOCALVERSION= string passed to "make" will now always be appended to the
> kernel version after CONFIG_LOCALVERSION, if it exists, regardless of
> whether CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO is set or not. This allows users to
> uniquely identify their kernel builds with a string.

I've been using Linus's earlier patch for 3 months meanwhile in -tip and the
'+' version string differentiator is very useful in practice. Your version of
the patch should address some of the observations offered in the original
discussion as well. Would be nice to have your patch upstream (in the next
merge window or so).

Given that Sam doesnt maintain the kbuild tree anymore, would this patch be a
good fit for -mm perhaps?

Ingo