Re: [patch] Makefile: Unexport LANG

From: Simon Horman
Date: Thu Jan 07 2010 - 21:46:18 EST

On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 04:43:55PM -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> On 01/07/2010 04:41 PM, Simon Horman wrote:

> >> Sure, that would also work for the case that I'm seeing.
> >>
> >> I tested the following:
> >>
> >> # Avoid funny character set dependencies
> >> LC_ALL=C
> >> export LC_ALL
> >>
> >> Though personally I would advocate tweaking the locale as needed closer
> >> to awk scripts and the like, rather than the high-level general change that
> >> was made. Fall-out from a high-level change seems inevitable to me.
> >
> > This seems to still be broken. Can we decide on a solution?
> >

> I think it's up to Michal to pick the preferred solution.
>
> It has been pointed out that one option might also to be to *not*
> override LC_CTYPE, and only override LC_COLLATE.

I've confirmed that both of the following allow make to give sane output
for me. And they are better than my suggestion in the respect that the
error messages are according to the otherwise prevailing locale, not
suddenly switched to English.

# Avoid funny character set dependencies
unexport LC_ALL
LC_COLLATE=C
export LC_NUMERIC

# Avoid funny character set dependencies
unexport LC_ALL
LC_COLLATE=C
LC_NUMERIC=C
export LC_COLLATE LC_NUMERIC

I did not verify that they do something sensible for the awk concern
that originally introduced the locale change - but I think it is
unaffected by my locale settings.