Re: reiserfs broken in 2.6.32 was Re: [GIT PULL] reiserfs fixes

From: tytso
Date: Sat Jan 02 2010 - 18:36:56 EST

On Sat, Jan 02, 2010 at 10:06:55PM +0100, Frederic Weisbecker wrote:

> Thanks! I'm going to test it now. I've been running a stress test
> from Chris Mason which basically checks races on parallel writes/read.

Hmm, which test is this?

> If this testsuite includes more checks, like xattr and some other
> things, then that's exactly what I was searching.

Yes, quite a bit more than that. One such test (which is used by
xfsqa test) is the fsstress proram, which is quite flexible. You can
program different combinations of fallocate, direct I/O read/writes,
setxattr, buffered read/writes, symlinks, truncates, renames, etc..
The xfsqa suite will run fsstress in a number of different modes, but
that's not the only test program that it uses. It also uses the fsx
program which exercises concurrent read/write/mmap operations, as well
as other programs to test acl support, noatime support, etc.

I make a point of running the regression test suite before pushing a
patch series to Linus; it makes me far more comfortable than I haven't
accidentally introduced some problem.

> I guess this is the right place to get it?
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/fs/xfs/xfstests-dev.git

Yep. You'll need to install a number of packages to compile it,
including libaio-dev, libattr1-dev, libacl1-dev, xfsprogs,
xfslibs-dev, etc.

- Ted