Re: [suspend/resume] Re: userspace notification from module

From: BartÅomiej ZimoÅ
Date: Sat Jan 02 2010 - 17:35:26 EST

Dnia 2 stycznia 2010 22:01 "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@xxxxxxx> napisaÅ(a):

> On Saturday 02 January 2010, BartÅomiej ZimoÅ wrote:
> > Dnia 2 stycznia 2010 16:56 Daniel Borkmann <danborkmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> napisaÅ(a):
> > > Hi Andy,

> > > This is, of course, another possible solution that is more "cleaner"
> > > than the one with the signals.
> > > Then, your userspace program would have another thread polling for the
> > > device node. Question is which timeout would be appropriate to be "CPU
> > > friendly" and to keep notification latency short?
> > >

> > Just need as fast as possible solution and on the other hand acceptable for kernel sources.
> > Usually programs needs just to disconnect something or set one flag.
> > Even if program will have no time for this it could be enough just to send this precious info.
>
> Perhaps I don't understand correctly what you're trying to achieve, but at the
> moment suspend is always started from user space, this way or another, and on
> the majority (all?) of the modern distros pm-utils is involved in that.
> So, why don't you provide a pm-utils hook for your process (like, for example,
> NetworkManager)?

Thanks for Your answare.
Some points of my idea:
- don't think everyone want to use pm-utils (didn't say it is bad)
- this code is standard for all implementation of suspend/hibernate/resume
- it is small
- it have less overhead, dont need dbus and all rest services.
- could be even used partialy by pm-utils
- it is perfect just to notify about event

Some opposits:
- program will have less time to do what it want than with pm-utils
- all rest

Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Best regards
BartÅomiej ZimoÅ