Re: Useless thermal acpi driver ?

From: J.A. MagallÃn
Date: Tue Dec 15 2009 - 17:46:29 EST

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 22:00:25 -0500 (EST), Len Brown <lenb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> this DSDT returns a constant temperature, always:
>
> Method (_TMP, 0, NotSerialized)
> {
> Return (0x0BB8)
> }
>

> so in this case, Linux is just reporting the (lack of) news:-)

So, lets see...:

- Someone decided ACPI is the only-real-good-way
- Only a few devices are ported to ACPI
- The old way is unusable
- We can not return to the old way

So, any solution ? Thermal ACPI info in this boards (and I suspect in many
others) is useless. We can not disable that part of ACPI, we can not enable
sensors. So no thermal monitoring.
Nice.

Ayways, as in this case the ACPI part does not any real work, is still
present the problem of two drivers poking the same hardware or could I use
that 'lax' trick ?

And second, can the traditional sensor drivers be ported to offer an ACPI
device replacing the default one, or is that a stupid question ?

TIA

--
J.A. Magallon <jamagallon()ono!com> \ Software is like sex:
\ It's better when it's free