Re: nconfig v7

From: Nir Tzachar
Date: Mon Dec 14 2009 - 00:39:31 EST

>>10x ;)
>
> Ten times what?

Thanks...

>>> - provide the same color scheme as menuconfig
>>
>>As far as colrs are involved, I think it is best to not impose any
>>color scheme. You can never satisfy everyone, and will get into
>>endless fights about which is best.
>
> Well, menuconfig seems to have had the least fights. There was exactly
> one color scheme imposed, and that did not change for years; when themes
> were added, not much happened. There was a bit of discussion and
> submissions about themes (including myself), but in the end, it was
> sort-of agreed upon that four were enough. And they seem to work for
> everybody.
>
>>I believe the current approach in nconfig works best, as I am using
>>the default terminal colors for the main body of text (menus, help
>>text, etc), and only use colors for emphasis (headings, boxes, etc).
>
> No sorry. Black-on-blue does not work very much, for the physical fact
> that blue is recognized as faint. Let me put in some numbers (30,59,11%
> are the common RGB weighting for grayscale/luminance)
>
>  Blue:                       Effective Lum:
>  - xterm standard (#0000EE): 26.18
>  - VGA standard (#0000AA):   18.70
>  Cyan:
>  - VGA (#00AAAA)             119.00
>
> So you see why Midnight Commander, htop, etc. all use Black-on-Cyan for
> their Fn keybar instead of Blue.

I'll go along with you, but only as fat as the highlights are
concerned. I will oppose any kind of color theme for the main body of
text, as it will just lead to arguments about readability, etc., which
I feel no one would win but the loudest complainer. Again, I believe
it is best to make use as much as possible of the colors the user has
picked for her terminal, as she had already made the best choice for
_her_.