Re: Bisected regression (Was Re: current -git fails to boot on nehalem-ex)

From: Yinghai
Date: Thu Dec 10 2009 - 12:27:34 EST

On Dec 10, 2009, at 8:06 AM, Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

* Jens Axboe <jens.axboe@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, Dec 10 2009, Jens Axboe wrote:
Hi,

As written in the subject, it just hard hangs before writing anything on
the console. With earlyprintk, I captured the failure, see below.

I'll try and bisect this, but it takes some time (since the bios and
post process takes forever). I just updated the firmware on the box as
well, but it did boot 2.6.32 (and RHEL5 boots fine too). Of course that
doesn't rule out a BIOS bug.

Results are persistent, git bisect points to:

commit b24c2a925a9837cccf54d50aeac22ba0cbc15455
Author: Yinghai Lu <yinghai@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue Nov 24 02:48:18 2009 -0800

x86: Move find_smp_config() earlier and avoid bootmem usage

which appears consistent with the panic(). Reverting that does indeed
make current -git boot properly.

Thanks. Yinghai, do you have any ideas, or should we revert it?

Let find the root cause

Jen

Can you boot with earlyconsole or earlyprintk and debug?

YH