Re: [Regression 2] i915: Commit 0d9c778978 causes flickering in 2.6.32

From: David John
Date: Thu Dec 10 2009 - 06:27:03 EST

On 12/09/2009 10:44 PM, David John wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a Dell Inspiron with a GM45 Express chipset and an Acer 23"
> display connected to the VGA out. I switch off the internal LVDS LCD
> on X start-up with xrandr. X works fine but if I switch to a console,
> it flickers horribly with the text all pushed to the right. Switching
> back to X causes X to start flickering as well. Turning the internal
> LVDS back _on_ solves the issue. It works like a switch so it is easily
> reproducible. Reverting commit 0e442c60 also fixes the problem.
>
> There isn't anything unusual in the kernel or X logs that I could see,
> but they're attached.
>
> Regards,
> David.

Hi,

Reverting the above commit fixes 95% of the problem, the console no
longer flickers. However, the same sequence: Switch off LVDS->
Switch to console->Switch back to X causes slight flicker in X with
the commit 0d9c778978. Turning the internal LVDS back on solves the
issue. Reverting commit 0d9c778978 fixes the problem completely (Both
commits have to be reverted).

Regards,
David.