Re: Async resume patch (was: Re: [GIT PULL] PM updates for 2.6.33)

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Dec 09 2009 - 10:38:57 EST

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009, Alan Stern wrote:

> In fact these considerations already affect the USB resume operations,
> even without asynchronous resume. The code relies on the fact that the
> PCI layer registers sibling devices on a slot in order of increasing
> function number. There's no guarantee this will remain true in the
> future (it may already be wrong AFAIK), so putting in some explicit
> list manipulation is the prudent thing to do.

I do think we want to keep the slot ordering.

One of the silent issues that the device management code has always had is
the whole notion of naming stability. Now, udev and various fancy naming
schemes solve that at a higher level, but it is still the case that we
_really_ want basic things like your PCI controllers to show up in stable
order.

For example, it is _very_ inconvenient if things like PCI probing ends up
allocating different bus numbers (or resource allocations) across reboots
even if the hardware hasn't been changed. Just from a debuggability
standpoint, that just ends up being a total disaster.

For example, we continually hit odd special cases where PCI resource
allocation has some unexplained problem because there is some motherboard
resource that is hidden and invisible to our allocator. They are rare in
the sense that it's usually just a couple of odd laptops or something, but
they are not rare in the sense that pretty much _every_ single time we
change some resource allocation logic, we find one or two machines that
have some issue.

Things like that would be total disasters if the core device layer then
ended up also not having well-defined ordering. This is why I don't want
to do asynchronous PCI device probing, for example (ie we probe the
hardware synchronously, the PCI driver sets it all up synchronously, and
the asynchronous portion is the non-PCI part if any - things like PHY
detection, disk spinup etc).

So async things are fine, but they have _huge_ disadvantages, and I'll
personally take reliability and a stable serial algorithm over an async
one as far as possible.

That's partly why I realy did suggest that we do the async stuff purely in
the USB layer, rather than try to put it deeper in the device layer. And
if we do support it "natively" in the device layer like Rafael's latest
patch, I still think we should be very very nervous about making devices
async unless there is a measured - and very noticeable - advantage.

So I really don't want to push things any further than absolutely
necessary. I do not think that something like "embedded audio" is a reason
for async, for example.

Linus