Re: Increased Buffers due to patch 56e49d (vmscan: evict use-oncepages first), but why exactly?

From: Rik van Riel
Date: Tue Dec 08 2009 - 11:17:10 EST

On 12/08/2009 10:54 AM, Christian Ehrhardt wrote:

btw thanks for the explanation Rik, the file/blockdev association was
exactly what I was missing in my thoughts.
While my question was more intended to ask where in code these
differentiation is made I'm perfectly fine with having it just working
knowing that file/blockdev association is the key.

Actually, the file/blockdev association is just a coincidence,
due to the way your benchmark works.

The key is "page touched once" vs "page touched multiple times".

In eg. a database workload, I would expect much more file data
to be on the active list. Specifically the file data corresponding
to the database indexes.

--
All rights reversed.