Re: [RFC] What are the goals for the architecture of an in-kernel IR system?

From: Krzysztof Halasa
Date: Tue Dec 08 2009 - 08:52:12 EST

Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> What is the interface for attaching an in-kernel decoder?
>
> IMO, it should use the kfifo for it. However, if we allow both raw data and
> in-kernel decoders to read data there, we'll need a spinlock to protect the
> kfifo.

This may be an option, but I think we should be able to attach protocol
decoders in parallel, directly to the IRQ handler. At least with RC-5
(that's what I personally use) it means reliable decoding, no need for
any timeouts, the code is clean, fast (can be a part of hard IRQ
handler) and simple.

The decoder needs something like
rc5_signal_change(ptr, space_or_mark, microseconds).

At least mark->space or space->mark events must be reported. For better
reliability, both of them.
--
Krzysztof Halasa