RE: SR-IOV enabling process failed in kernel 2.6.32

From: Erez Shitrit
Date: Tue Dec 08 2009 - 04:06:20 EST

Hi Greg,

We are working on InfiniBand device that supports SR-IOV.
and lately (from version 2.6.32 ) we faced a problem:
When the driver tried to enable SR-IOV it failed to allocate resources
for the 2 BARS the device needs.
The situation is when there are 2 BARS, the first asks for little amount
of memory and the second asks for much larger memory requirements.
I saw in the code (drivers/pci/iov.c) that the order of the allocation
starts from the first BAR to the last.

The code:
for (i = 0; i < PCI_SRIOV_NUM_BARS; i++) {
res = iov->res + i;
if (!res->flags)
continue;
rc = pci_assign_resource(dev, i + PCI_IOV_RESOURCES);

This process failed for the second BAR (The big one). (in the log: "not
enough MMIO resources for SR-IOV")

I think (IMHO) it because the allocation of the first BAR (the little)
one was from the allocated slot of the big one (the allocation from the
sriov_init function)
and when the kernel tries to allocate the slot for he second BAR (the
big one) in the place of the little one it failed.

when I changed the code to start the allocation from the last to the
first: for (i = PCI_SRIOV_NUM_BARS; i >= 0; i--)
It works fine.

Is it a bug ?

Thanks, Erez