Re: What is the performance when using frame pointers in thekernel?

From: Jiri Kosina
Date: Fri Dec 04 2009 - 08:24:15 EST

On Thu, 3 Dec 2009, Peter Zijlstra wrote:

> > What is the performance hit when the kernel is compiled with frame
> > pointers?
>
> build both kernels and run your favourite workload to find out.

But generally speaking, frame pointers impose quite some performance
penalty indeed. lmbench syscall microbenchmark can give you some hint. I
expect you'll see approx. 10% performance increase for various syscalls if
you disable them, as that's what we have measured lately.

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.