Re: 2.6.32 CONFIG_SX marked as BROKEN

From: Alan Cox
Date: Fri Dec 04 2009 - 07:24:43 EST

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 11:08:05 +0000
Graham Murray <gmurray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Commit 412145947adfca60a4b5b4893fbae82dffa25edd marked CONFIG_SX as
> Broken. The commit comments state that there are no users. We are using
> SX cards in production servers. I discovered this when I attempted to
> upgrade a development server to 2.6.32 and it failed to find the cards.

The original long discussion with the patch was intentionally trimmed for
the kernel submit. They were marked broken not just because we could find
no users but also because the code in the kernel has some very serious
flaws which I was able to demonstrate are exploitable.

Had it merely sucked it wouldn't have been marked as broken.

The bigger problem is that the design of the ancient midlayer gs code it
uses is so broken that it really needs a major rework or the sx driver
extracting from it completely. Both are major bits of work.

Alan