Re: trace/events: DECLARE vs DEFINE semantic

From: Steven Rostedt
Date: Thu Dec 03 2009 - 09:24:16 EST

On Thu, 2009-12-03 at 09:09 -0500, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> * Steven Rostedt (rostedt@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> > > Hmm, I'd rather like to move it into kernel/events/ or something new
> > > sub directory, since those files will have just two lines (define and
> > > include).
> >
> > I'm fine with a kernel/events dir.
>
> Yep, sounds fine.
>
> Maybe we could have separate files for:
>
> a) event definitions
> b) class definitions

Um, because we don't add classes nor definitions for that matter in C
files. These files will just have:

#define CREATE_TRACE_POINT
#include <trace/event/x.h>
#include <trace/event/y.h>
[...]

> ?

> > > Would you mean putting those headers in sub-system's directory?
> > > (e.g. fs/ext4/)
> > > In that case, a problem will happen when user want to hook those
> > > tracepoint from their module, because it is hard to find those
> > > local headers.
> >
> > Why? Modules usually do have their own headers in their sub system.
> >
> > OK, if a module keeps their headers global (include/linux) then sure
> > they can keep their tracepoint header in include/trace/events. But I
> > still think that the module CREATE_TRACE_POINTS code should be kept with
> > the module code itself (but in a small separate file).
>
> I agree with Steven here: modules should come with their own trace event
> definitions, and if the trace classes they use are not available in the
> standard kernel, they should come with these trace classes definitions
> too.
>
> A small *_trace.c file linked along with the module looks fine by me.
>
> And please, try to re-used the already existing symbol dependency
> management already present in the kernel to deal with module dependency
> on class and dependency such as:
>
> module-a.ko
> defines trace class
> module-b.ko
> module-c.ko
>
> module-b and module-c define events which depend on the trace class.
>
> If you make the event definition depend on a symbol defined in module-a,
> everything should work flawlessly. It also works if the class is defined
> in the core kernel.

I think the issue is where to find the headers.

But this does bring up another point. I don't think I designed the class
macro to be used by events in other headers. Looking at the code, since
all the shared functions are "static" it wont work.

I guess I can modify it to be global, and also export them as GPL.

-- Steve

-- Steve