Re: reiser4: newbie help needed?

From: Edward Shishkin
Date: Wed Dec 02 2009 - 04:22:51 EST

Johannes Buchner wrote:
Hi!

I am possibly interested in helping out. Who is currently working on
reiser4?

Nobody.
Because there is no bugreports.

I took a look at the TODO lists, are there any simple tasks to
do for newbies?

If you mean the "todo for inclusion", then no.

Reiser4 has only one technical issue. It can
be resolved only by very experienced people.

Also, where is the latest code development going on?

in -mm

I also believe that on 'sync', reiser4 currently does absolutely
nothing.

this is not good: a file system should respond on sync (1).

The comment in reiser4_sync_inodes says reiser4 does its own
flush elsewhere. Should this be different?

you might want to ask such question _before_ sending patches to akpm.

BTW excellent comment, what is not clear?

/**
* reiser4_sync_inodes - sync_inodes of super operations
* @super:
* @wbc:
*
* This method is called by background and non-backgound writeback. Reiser4's
* implementation uses generic_sync_sb_inodes to call reiser4_writepages for
* each of dirty inodes. Reiser4_writepages handles pages dirtied via shared
* mapping - dirty pages get into atoms. Writeout is called to flush some
* atoms.
*/

Edward.