Re: seeing strange values for tcp sk_rmem_alloc

From: Eric Dumazet
Date: Tue Dec 01 2009 - 12:52:22 EST

Chris Friesen a écrit :

> I realize this. I sent the data from a socket to itself. It could just
> as easily be done with two tcp sockets. The important thing is that I
> control both the tx and rx sides, so I know how much data should be
> present in the rx queue at any point in time.
>
> The part that surprised me was that I could send multiple chunks of data
> without sk_rmem_alloc changing on the socket to which the data was being
> sent. Then it would jump up by a large amount (up to 20K) all at once.
>
> I'm starting to suspect that the discrepency might have something to do
> with the skb_copy_datagram_iovec() call in tcp_data_queue(), and how
> skb_set_owner_r() is only called if "eaten" is <= 0. This could be
> totally off-base though.

If you dont read() your socket, then skb_copy_datagram_iovec() is not called

But be careful of sender tcp stack : It might be delayed a bit,
because it waits for receiver to open its window (slow start)

You probably need something like

while (1) {
send(fd1, buffer, 2Kbytes);
sleep(2); // let tcp stack flush its write buffers
display_sk_rmem_alloc(fd2);
}