Re: warning: massive change to conditional coding style in net?

From: William Allen Simpson
Date: Tue Dec 01 2009 - 11:09:08 EST

Joe Perches wrote:
On Mon, 2009-11-30 at 05:36 -0500, William Allen Simpson wrote:
Over the past several days, David Miller (with help from Joe Perches)
made sweeping changes to the format of conditional statements in the
net tree -- the equivalent of mass patches that change spaces.
This makes writing patches for multiple versions of the tree very
difficult, and will make future pullups problematic.

If it makes getting tcp cookies accepted difficult,
a reversion is simple. That style isn't as important.

Then why make an *un*important (yet sweeping) change?

I think writing a single set of patches for multiple
versions of linux is not feasible. Feature changes
occur in kernel source daily.

My patches were carefully written and applied with small fuzz to .30,
and .31, and .32-rc3.

if (condition
&& condition
&& (condition
|| condition
|| condition)) {

The above is my personally preferred style.

That seems fine to me. And in some areas of the tree, nearly 100% of
other contributors, too.

My personally preferred style is the single spaced variant, that also
conforms to the strict letter of CodingStyle, to wit:

Use one space around (on each side of) most binary and ternary operators

if (condition &&
condition && (condition || condition ||
condition)) {

Except for the odd spacing, this is the significant
majority of net/ style.

The leading style was < 10%. It's less now.

That's only true in net/ -- since the overall tree was 18.7%, with
net/ < 10%, the density was *much* higher elsewhere.

But more important, at least to my thinking, is keeping patches simple
by conforming to the *existing* style in the section of code. No
sweeping changes!