Re: debugging oops after disconnecting Nexio USB touchscreen

From: Alan Stern
Date: Tue Dec 01 2009 - 10:11:44 EST

On Tue, 1 Dec 2009, Ondrej Zary wrote:

> On Monday 30 November 2009, Alan Stern wrote:
> > On Mon, 30 Nov 2009, Ondrej Zary wrote:
> > > It does not make much sense to me but I think that it crashes iside this
> > > list manipulation:
> > >
> > > prev = ehci->async;
> > > while (prev->qh_next.qh != qh)
> > > prev = prev->qh_next.qh;
> >
> > Yes, it's crashing in the "while" test because prev is NULL. This
> > means the code is looking for qh in the async list but not finding it.
> > That's supposed to be impossible.
> >
> > The assembly code is peculiar because it includes stuff that isn't in
> > the source code! For example, right at this point (after the end of
> > the loop) there's a test to see whether prev is NULL. Where could that
> > have come from? Do you have any idea?
>
> I'm not sure, I might did something wrong and left it there from my previous
> debugging attempt.

Okay. But it was part of the reason you had difficulty matching up the
ehci-hcd.s file with the crash code dump.

> > > prev->hw_next = qh->hw_next;
> > > prev->qh_next = qh->qh_next;
> > > wmb ();
> >
> > These lines aren't reached.
> >
> > Does this happen every time you disconnect the Nexio?
>
> The crash happens almost always when disconnecting the touchscreen.
> When booted without X, it often survives the first disconnect.

Then it will be easy to recreate the problem. :-)

> > You can try patching that loop. If prev is NULL then print an error
> > message in the log, including the value of qh and the value of
> > ehci->async, and jump past the following three statements.
> >
> > With that change the system shouldn't crash, although khubd might hang.
> > But we still need to find out how this could have happened. Try
> > collecting a usbmon trace while running the test; then let's compare
> > the usbmon output with the error messages in the log.
>
> gcc version is: gcc (Debian 4.3.4-6) 4.3.4
>
> Tried something like that before but it did not help at all.
> The check is not triggered and it still oopses. Now it looks like this:
>
> qh->qh_state = QH_STATE_UNLINK;
> ehci->reclaim = qh = qh_get (qh);
>
> prev = ehci->async;
> if (!prev) {
> printk("prev is NULL, qh=%p, ehci->async=%p\n", qh, ehci->async);
> goto after;
> }
[*] > while (prev->qh_next.qh != qh) {
> if (!prev) {
> printk("prev is NULL, qh=%p, ehci->async=%p\n", qh, ehci->async);
> goto after;
> }
> prev = prev->qh_next.qh;
> }
>
> prev->hw_next = qh->hw_next;
> prev->qh_next = qh->qh_next;
> wmb ();
>
> after:

No, that is wrong. The [*] line can still perform an invalid
dereference. You need to move the inside test to the end of the loop,
after the assignment statement. Or else do this:

prev = ehci->async;
for (;;) {
if (!prev) {
printk(KERN_ERR "prev is NULL, qh=%p, "