Re: 2.6.31.5 x86-64 KVM: 'emulation failed (pagetable) rip 7fb49335da7b66 0f 7f 07'

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Tue Dec 01 2009 - 04:59:18 EST

On 11/30/2009 11:40 PM, Nix wrote:

So I started with -vga std. The emulation failed flood is unaffected
(strangely it's not consistent: it happens about half the time). As soon
as I issue a 'stop gdm', X exits and the emulation flood halts: but
although there are other getties running I can't find a way to switch to
them, as qemu has stolen Ctrl-Alt for its own purposes: so the system is
pretty much useless (maybe I should get an sshd up and try to restart
things from there). (I've never needed to do this before: either my
qemus have been text mode all the time, or X with one console.)

Surely switching VTs is possible: any clues?

'sendkey alt-ctrl-f2' from the qemu monitor.

So it looks like it is X related, and we'll have no choice other than to emulate the instruction. Annoying, since we don't emulate sse instructions yet.