Re: lockdep complaints in slab allocator

From: David Rientjes
Date: Mon Nov 30 2009 - 18:14:42 EST

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> > > I'm afraid I have only anecdotal reports from SLOB users, and embedded
> > > folks are notorious for lack of feedback, but I only need a few people
> > > to tell me they're shipping 100k units/mo to be confident that SLOB is
> > > in use in millions of devices.
> > >

> > It's much more popular than I had expected; do you think it would be
> > possible to merge slob's core into another allocator or will it require
> > seperation forever?
>
> It would be possible to create a slab-common.c and isolate common handling
> of all allocators. SLUB and SLQB share quite a lot of code and SLAB could
> be cleaned up and made to fit into such a framework.

Right, but the user is still left with a decision of which slab allocator
to compile into their kernel, each with distinct advantages and
disadvantages that get exploited for the wide range of workloads that it
runs. If slob could be merged into another allocator, it would be simple
to remove the distinction of it being seperate altogether, the differences
would depend on CONFIG_EMBEDDED instead.