Re: warning: massive change to conditional coding style in net?

From: Joe Perches
Date: Mon Nov 30 2009 - 12:56:46 EST

On Mon, 2009-11-30 at 05:36 -0500, William Allen Simpson wrote:
> Over the past several days, David Miller (with help from Joe Perches)
> made sweeping changes to the format of conditional statements in the
> net tree -- the equivalent of mass patches that change spaces.
> This makes writing patches for multiple versions of the tree very
> difficult, and will make future pullups problematic.

If it makes getting tcp cookies accepted difficult,
a reversion is simple. That style isn't as important.

I think writing a single set of patches for multiple
versions of linux is not feasible. Feature changes
occur in kernel source daily.

> if (condition
> && condition
> && (condition
> || condition
> || condition)) {

The above is my personally preferred style.

> if (condition &&
> condition && (condition || condition ||
> condition)) {

Except for the odd spacing, this is the significant
majority of net/ style.

The leading style was < 10%. It's less now.

> Miller (with Perches) changed hundreds (thousands?) of these to
> trailing form. This results in a number of hilarious examples --
> lines with both leading and trailing, lines with only &&, etc.

Nearly all existing.