Re: crash driver in fedora

From: Dave Anderson
Date: Mon Nov 30 2009 - 10:35:29 EST

----- "Christoph Hellwig" <hch@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> is there a good reason the crash driver is still only stuck in the
> Fedora kernel instead of beeing upstream? We already have the
> restrictive memory device options upstream, so there should be a use
> case for it.

(FWIW, it made it into Fedora long after it was introduced in RHEL...)

Anyway, Bernard Walle's request made far more sense than the crash driver,
and his patch was ultimately rejected:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/11/16/117
From: Bernhard Walle <>
Subject: Turn CONFIG_STRICT_DEVMEM in sysctl dev.mem.restricted
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 15:47:45 +0100

So I'm guessing that the crash driver, which is a read-only workaround
for CONFIG_STRICT_DEVMEM kernels, would suffer the same fate.

Dave