Re: [RFC] What are the goals for the architecture of an in-kernelIR system?

From: Artur Skawina
Date: Sun Nov 29 2009 - 16:59:41 EST

Mike Lampard wrote:
> an example I have a VDR instance running in the background on my desktop
> machine outputting to a TV in another room via a pci mpeg decoder - I
> certainly don't want the VDR remote control interacting with my X11 desktop in
> any way unless I go out of my way to set it up to do so, nor do I want it
> interacting with other applications (such as MPD piping music around the
> house) that are controlled via other remotes in other rooms unless specified.
>
> Setting this up with Lircd was easy, how would a kernel-based proposal handle
> this?

eg

EV="/dev/input/"$( cd "/sys/class/input" &&
( grep -l 'X10' event*/device/name || grep -l 'X10' event*/device/manufacturer ) |

./vdr [...] -P "remote -i $EV"

This is how it has worked for years, so there's no reason it wouldn't work w/ any
future scheme. The remote buttons normally arrive as normal kbd keys; once an app
grabs the input device corresponding to a remote, it receives the events exclusively.

artur