Re: 2.6.31.5 x86-64 KVM: 'emulation failed (pagetable) rip 7fb49335da7b66 0f 7f 07'

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Sun Nov 29 2009 - 09:24:00 EST

On 11/29/2009 03:48 PM, Nix wrote:
On 29 Nov 2009, Avi Kivity uttered the following:
66 0f 7f 07 movdqa %xmm0,(%rdi)

which we don't emulate.
x86-64 glibc 2.10 memset(), perhaps? On SSE-capable platforms that does
a whole bunch of

L(SSE0QB): movdqa %xmm0,-0xb0(%rdi)
L(SSE0QA): movdqa %xmm0,-0xa0(%rdi)
L(SSE0Q9): movdqa %xmm0,-0x90(%rdi)
L(SSE0Q8): movdqa %xmm0,-0x80(%rdi)
L(SSE0Q7): movdqa %xmm0,-0x70(%rdi)
L(SSE0Q6): movdqa %xmm0,-0x60(%rdi)
L(SSE0Q5): movdqa %xmm0,-0x50(%rdi)
L(SSE0Q4): movdqa %xmm0,-0x40(%rdi)
L(SSE0Q3): movdqa %xmm0,-0x30(%rdi)
L(SSE0Q2): movdqa %xmm0,-0x20(%rdi)
L(SSE0Q1): movdqa %xmm0,-0x10(%rdi)
L(SSE0Q0): retq

(multiple blocks of this, catering for alignment, I guess)

and x86-64 is always SSE-capable.

Most likely, either this or something similar is called on a userspace device driver. Can you check if this is triggered by starting X?

If so, we'll have to emulate this instruction, which will be a bitch.