Re: touchscreen wirh 2.6.26

From: Jiri Kosina
Date: Fri Nov 27 2009 - 07:10:45 EST

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009, Alex Custov wrote:

> >> I have Acer T230H on Debian Lenny with 2.6.26.8 manually complied
> >> kernel. The problem is that this is a multitouch monitor and it seems
> >> that it doesn't work at all (even single touches). All things under
> >> "Drivers => Input device support => Touchscreens" are enabled in kernel
> >> (as modules). Is this type of monitor supported, or I should upgrade to
> >> a newer kernel? Thanks.
> >
> > How is the touchscreen conntected to system? Is it USB? If so, what is the
> > vendor and product ID? (lsusb will tell).
>
> Hi. Thanks for answer. I've already found the /dev device it has - it
> is /dev/usb/hiddev0. Yes, it is USB connected. I did "cat
> /dev/usb/hiddev0" and touched some points on the screen, it seems that
> it works (I got some binary data from 'cat'). Now I will try to add
> the corresponding section to the xorg.conf to let it work in X.

It might not be that trivial -- /dev/usb/hiddev0 gives you only
more-or-less raw HID data, but they have still to be interpreted somehow
to make sense.

If the device is implementing some vendor-specific (or device-specific)
protocol, then the data you see coming through hiddev0 might not be useful
at all directly in X.

Repeating from my previous mail -- please provide the idVendor/idProduct
(found by lsusb -v) for this device. It might be supported in later
kernels, but without this information, it's impossible to tell.

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.