Re: regression: 2.6.32-rc8 shuts down after reaching criticaltemperature

From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
Date: Wed Nov 25 2009 - 21:23:21 EST

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> I recently upgraded my Thinkpad T500 from Linux 2.6.31 to Linux
> 2.6.32-rc (first -rc7 but I've also tried with -rc6 and -rc8) and when
> putting load on it, e.g. by building a kernel tree. It shuts down soon
> with the
>
> Critical temperature reached (%ld C), shutting down.\n"
>
> printk from drivers/thermal/thermal_sys.c, where the temperature is
> usually 100C or slightly above. The system is a Lenovo Thinkpad T500
> with a Intel Core 2 Dueo T9600 running a 32 bit kernel.

If you go back to the previous kernel, does the problem disappear? Please
test and report (don't go by past experiences).

If it does disappear, what are the highest temperatures your thinkpad hits?

"sensors" from lm-sensors will tell you the current temperatures as long as
the "thermal" and "thinkpad-acpi" modules are loaded (don't run
sensors-detect).

Henrique Holschuh