Re: Linux 2.6.31 - very swap-happy with plenty of free RAM

From: Rik van Riel
Date: Wed Nov 25 2009 - 20:55:56 EST

On 11/25/2009 06:13 PM, Dan Merillat wrote:
On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 9:36 AM, KOSAKI Motohiro
<kosaki.motohiro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Dan,

Umm, very strange.
I made two debug patch. can you please apply it and post following
command output?

% cat /proc/meminfo
% cat /proc/vmstat
% cat /proc/zoneinfo
# cat /proc/filecache | sort -nr -k3 |head -30
As I said I can't give you the filecache info, but here's two datasets

The amount of cache is due to 1.5gb of mmaped vmware guest backing files.

First, 400mb ram "free" but still swapping out - usable with a few
pauses as apps swap back in.

Can you try out the patch from
http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/11/25/467 ?