Re: [RFC,PATCH 14/14] utrace core

From: Oleg Nesterov
Date: Tue Nov 24 2009 - 16:50:53 EST

(restore cc's)

On 11/24, Andi Kleen wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 09:41:52PM +0100, Oleg Nesterov wrote:

> > > Could we just drop the tracehook layer if this finally merged
> > > and call the low level functions directly?
> >
> > Not sure I understand. Tracehooks are trivial inline wrappers on
> > top utrace calls,
>
> Yes that's the problem -- they are unnecessary obfuscation
> when you can just call directly.

This is subjective, but personally I disagree. Contrary, imho it
is good that tracehook hides the (simple) details. I do not understand
why the reader of, say, do_fork() should see the contents of
tracehook_report_clone_complete(). This will complicate the understanding.
Those people who want to understand/change fork() do not care about
utrace/ptrace usually.

And please note that it is much, much easier to change this code
when it lives in tracehooks.h instead of sched.c/signal.c/etc.

> > What is the point?
>
> Less code obfuscation.
>
> When it's a utrace call, call it a utrace call, not something else.

Why do you think this is obfuscation? Well, we can rename these
helpers, s/tracehook_/utrace_/, but I don't see how this can make
the code more readable.

Oleg.