Re: Weird I/O errors with USB hard drive not remounting filesystemreadonly

From: Jan Kara
Date: Tue Nov 24 2009 - 14:56:27 EST

On Tue 24-11-09 14:28:35, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Nov 2009, Jan Kara wrote:
>
> > My naive guess would be that those non-retried reads were actually
> > readahead. That's not retried if I remember correctly. Later, when we
> > really needed the data, we sent another read request...
>
> That would be my guess too. I don't know how to verify it, though.
>
> If you're interested in pursuing this farther, I can show you how to
> generate equivalent errors on demand using an emulated USB drive.
> At this point it's not clear how much more one could learn by doing
> this, however.
After digging in block layer code, it's as we suspected:
In case of host error DID_ERROR (which is our case), scsi request is
retried iff it is not a FAILFAST request which is set if bio is doing
readahead... So this is explained and everything behaves as it should.
Thanks everybody involved :).

Honza