Re: RFC: Put printk buffer in video ram

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Mon Nov 23 2009 - 13:57:57 EST

On 11/23/2009 12:32 PM, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Maxim Levitsky <maximlevitsky@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Few more thoughts:
>>
>> First of all, if I implement this as a console driver, I won't be able
>> to capture all kernel log, but only from the point I register the
>> console.
>
> Adding an early console driver would solve this, right?

We've had a mechanism sort of like this for quite a while. Hasn't been
pushed to mainline because it used board-specific hardware and we're
usually multiple kernel versions behind mainline.

Anyways, a couple things that we've found to be useful are:
1) The ability to allocate a chunk of this persistent memory area for a
special purpose. This allows things like memory-mapped circular buffers
for per-cpu binary data.
2) An API to log just to this persistent area and bypass the normal
console completely. This can be useful when debugging issues where the
normal logging paths result in a hang.

Chris