Re: firmware loading interface

From: Philip Downer
Date: Mon Nov 16 2009 - 05:57:15 EST

Arnd Bergmann wrote:
On Friday 13 November 2009, Philip Downer wrote:
However our device will have flash to store the firmware in and, whilst
it looks as though it would be possible for us to use request_firmware
to provide occasional firmware upgrades from userspace, I can't find any
reference as to whether this is an accepted method for doing so. Could
someone please confirm for me whether or not it's a good idea to use
request_firmware for this, or perhaps point me at another standard
method for doing firmware updates from userspace?

The idea of request_firmware is that it helps you load the firmware
into the device at initialization time so you can use it directly,
without making the firmware blob a part of the kernel driver.

If I understand you correctly, you never need a firmware in user space
in order to use the device, but only for flashing a new version into
the nonvolatile memory.

Thats correct.

The easiest way to do that would be an ioctl operation, if you are
implementing a character or block device interface anyway. Just load
the firmware into the RAM of a user application and call an ioctl
with the pointer to the firmware as an argument, but don't use
a data structure with a pointer in it, which would mess up 32 bit
compatibility operation.

Thank you for this suggestion and for the warning about 32bit, we are in fact implementing a character device and could use this method.

Thanks,

Philip Downer